VHIL Presence Scale
Feel free to use the following 15 item Presence Scale for research purposes. If used, please cite the following paper:
Bailenson, J.N., Blascovich, J., Beall, A.C., & Loomis, J.M. (2001). Equilibrium theory revisited: Mutual gaze and personal space in virtual environments. PRESENCE: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, 10. 583-598.
How strongly do you agree or disagree with the following statements about your partner?
- I felt like I was face-to-face with my partner.
- I felt like I was in the same room as my partner.
- I felt like my partner was watching me.
- I felt like my partner was aware of my presence.
- I felt like my partner was present.
How strongly do you agree or disagree with the following statements about your avatar?
- I felt like my avatar’s body was my own body.
- I felt like I was my avatar’s body.
- I felt like my avatar was an extension of me.
- I felt like my avatar was me.
- When something happened to my avatar, I felt like it was happening to me.
Likert scale from 1-5 (not at all – slightly – moderately – very – extremely)
- To what extent did you feel like you were inside the virtual world?
- To what extent did you feel immersed in the virtual world?
- To what extent did you feel surrounded by the virtual world you saw and heard?
- How much did it feel as if you visited another place?
- How much is the virtual world like the real world?